It's time for a trip to the wild wild west with a trip to Sacramento. I have lived in California a long time and I cannot believe it's taken me this long to explore diverse and dynamic city. This historic gold rush city has so much to offer from farm to fork restaurants, a restored old town, museums, and the State Capitol Building of course!
1. California State Capitol - This iconic building is modeled after the US Capitol Building in Washington DC and houses the California state legislator and the governor. You can tour the building daily or visit at night when it is all lit up.
2. Brunch - Head over to the farm to fork restaurant Beast and Bounty, which is found in the trendy urban retail area called the Ice Blocks in Midtown Sacramento.
3. Cuisine from Around the World - Sacramento is one of the most diverse cities in America where you can find authentic cuisine from literally every corner of the world, including Chinese, Ethiopian, and Haitian. In fact, at each of these restaurants, we were able to meet the owners who grew up in their home country and brought the recipes straight to Sacramento.
4. Old Town Sacramento - The restored old town takes you back into time to the 1800s gold rush era of Sacramento. There are 50 restored buildings, including restaurants, saloons, antiques, and museums.
5. California Railroad Museum - Sacramento is known for the groundbreaking site of the Transcontinental Railroad built between 1863 and 1869. It was one of the largest engineering feats in American history as the rail crossed though the treacherous Sierra Nevada Mountains. Go all aboard the historic steam engines in the family-friendly California Railroad Museum.
6. Historic Neighborhoods - Walk through the downtown to see the funky Victorian-era homes. Another fun fact, is Sacramento is known as the "City of Trees" for having the most trees per capita in America.
7. Golden 1 Center - Catch a Kings Game or a concert at the Golden 1 Center, a fun vibrant sports arena. The area is surrounded by fun bars and pubs.
What are your favorite places to visit in Sacramento? Comment below!
Published Travel Articles
Welcome to Run The Atlas!
We are two adventurous young professionals who turned our passion for travel into a blog to help others travel more.