In this photo trip, we visit Trinidad, Santa Clara, and Varadero in Cuba. Each city takes quite a bit of time to get to, as the roadways are quite long and bumpy. These cities are each worth a trip as they offer unique photo opportunities that you cannot get in Havana.
Trinidad is one of the best preserved colonial cities in all of Latin America and World Heritage Site since 1988 for its architectural and historical importance. It is a colorful town filled with cobblestone streets, music, and exquisite architectural details. Located near the ocean, Trinidad is much quieter than Havana but also lively in its own right. Here are the top places to photograph in Trinidad:
- Ananda Paladar - A gorgeous paladar (restaurant) where you can get traditional Cuban dish: ropa vieja.
- Santeria - Temlo de Yemalla - Santeria Practitioner discusses the basic principles of Santeria.
- Casa del Alfarero - Pottery store where visitors can watch the pottery being made and purchase directly from the artists. The colors and styles of the pottery are unique to the area and make for a perfect souvenir.
- Plaza major - the central plaza in Trinidad.
- Museo Romantico - Located in the central square, this museum is filled with antiques and porcelain, and features a tower where visitors can get a 360 degree view of Trinidad.
- Hacienda de manaca Iznaga, located in the Valley de los Ingenios, a series of valleys once known as Cuba's center of sugar production. The area contains one of the tallest bell towers.
2. Santa Clara
Santa Clara is located in the central part of Cuba and is notable for being the home to the Che Guevara Memorial.
Here are the top places to photograph in Santa Clara:
- Music School
- Che Memorial and Mausoleum - Impressive memorabilia and collection from the 1950s-60s on Che Guevara, the revolutionary and cultural icon.
- Coincidencia Farm - features the ceramics workshop founded by Hector Correa in 1987
3. Varadero and Surrounding Area
Varadero is the beach area with beautiful Caribbean waters. The area has many all-inclusive resorts which offered beautiful beaches, but not much in Cuban culture. While many visitors stay in the immediate area, there are many notable photographic excursions worth a trip away from the beach resorts.
Here are the top places to photograph in the Varadero region:
- Xanadu Mansion, Varadero Beachfrom mansion circa 1930 with a beautiful interior and top floor restaurant.
- Bacunayagua bridge - The largest bridge in Cuba.
- Callejon de las Tradiciones, Matanzas - Afro-Cuban culture and religion.
- Alamar - prefabricated concrete apartment blocks four stories high - Soviet style from 1970s.
- Fashion Designer Mariela Aleman Orozco - Mariela is an award winning fashion designer and we visited her house where she creates one of a kind fabrics and artwork.
- Ernest Hemingway in Cojimar, Quaint fishing village and setting for the book Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Here you can visit some of Hemingway's favorite bars.
Check out the photography prints available for purchase of this region here.
Welcome to Run The Atlas. See more of the world in less time. Weekend guides, day trips, and travel itineraries for busy professionals.
Top Viewed Blog Posts: