Just in time for the holiday season, we conclude our Journey to the Holy Land with a visit to the Sea of Galilee region of Israel. This is a region with history that dates back to over 2,000 years with many important sites for the Christian faith. We start at the Sea of Galilee, then head to the ancient ruins at Capernaum, and finish at the River Jordan. Let's explore the top places to photograph.
Behind the scenes video:
1. Sea of Galilee - This is a region where you can literally follow in Jesus' footsteps. We start at the Sea of Galilee, which is the site where Jesus walked on water and performed many miracles. It is the largest lake in Israel and appears out of the desert. The water is warm, but is known to be stormy, so be sure to bring this before filming. It is surrounded by desert hills, making for a unique landscape.
2. Sea of Galilee Boat Ride - The best way to experience the Sea of Galilee is by riding along the waters. The boat ride is a picturesque and spiritual experience as many tours read through the excerpts of the Bible where the Sea of Galilee is mentioned.
3. The Yigal Allon Center - This is the museum where you can see the "Jesus Boat" which is an ancient boat from the time of Jesus, found miraculously in the 1980s.
4. Sermon on the Mount - Located on top of the mountains along the Sea of Galilee is a modern church said to be located on the area where Jesus gave his famous sermon. The views are spectacular and there are beautiful gardens outside of the church.
5. Capernaum - This is where Jesus performed his healings and the site of a 4th century synagogue. The ruins of the synagogue are picturesque, as many of the columns still stand.
6. River Jordan - This is the baptismal site of Jesus. The River Jordan is where many people travel to be baptized. The River Jordan flows to the Dead Sea. It is not only a spiritual area, but also very picturesque as it is surrounded by palms and some of the only natural lush landscape in the region.
Published Travel Articles
Welcome to Run The Atlas!
We are two adventurous young professionals who turned our passion for travel into a blog to help others travel more.